Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Welcome Author Corey Feldman

 
Corey is a fellow children's book author and has stopped by for an interview. I'd love to welcome him. His little elephant is adorbale. Can't wait for the illustrated version to launch. I know my little ones will love it.
 
What was your favorite childhood children’s book? What drew you to it?
Winnie-the-Pooh. On the surface you have what seems like simple characters yet they offer a tremendous amount of complexity. The more I read, and the older I got, the more I saw. I mean how many other children's books can be used to explain Taoism. - The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet.   
 
What is your favorite children’s movie?
Not sure I had a favorite, I always preferred books to movies. 
 
What brought you into the wonderful world of creating children’s books?
I wrote a poem to thank someone who helped me come to terms with an opportunity for growth. She and others convinced me to try and turn it into a children's series. When I decided to try it, I took the adult character I had created and turned her back to age 5, the age of my oldest child. When I started reading them to him, Joshua, he fell in love with them. I couldn't help but go on. I also started blogging the draft poems/stories. For the most part they grew in complexity and length as time went on, and suddenly I had over 30 some poems/stories written. I also got a tremendous amount of positive feedback and had teachers and parents asking me if they could read them to their classes and children. I felt I had something special, but didn't have the patience to query agents and publishing houses, so I decided to go the indie route. I pulled out 7 stories for Egret at Five (working title) and hired an illustrator. I hope to have the project complete by next moth. While writing the 30+ stories/poems for the series I also wrote 3 other stories with Egret and her sister as grownups. Since I had never put together an eBook before I though a practice run was in order. I took the 4 stories, left them unillustrated and made Egret and Red: The Later Years. Since it was so short I kept the price to .99, when it got a wonderfully kind amazon review, it made my week. I hope the main project is received as warmly.
 
What is your current project? Tell us about it.
My current project is essentially a prequel to Egret and Red: The Later Years and unlike the first, it will be illustrated, It is about a 5 year old anthropomorphic elephant named Egret who loves to dance, especially under the moon. I currently have about 3 books worth of stories and poems, most of the drafts can be found at http://www.egrettheelephant.com/. Each book will be made up of vignettes, sort of like the Frog and Toad series. I also plan on writing stand alone books in this world as well. For example I have started a book where Egret and her best friend Samara go on a scavenger hunt. This will likely be the first standalone in the Egret series. 
 
What advice do you have for the little ones out there?
Books remind us of the magic in the world, keep reading.  
 
Thanks for stopping by Corey!
 
Find his collection here:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment